Historic home named for its most famous residents.. The History One of three French Quarter house museums, the Beauregard-Keyes House is better known for its famous former residents than for its Greek Revival architecture, rear courtyard and attached slave quarters. It's named for Confederate General P.G.T. Beauregard, a native New Orleanian who lived here briefly following the Civil War, and for best-selling novelist Frances Parkinson Keyes (pronounced kize), who penned some of her most famous works here in the '40s and '50s.
The Site Built in 1826, the pale yellow cottage is unremarkable and simple on the outside, but relics and period pieces inside make a tour well worth the time. Keyes' extensive doll and costume collection, as well as hand-written first drafts of her work, are on display in what was her back apartment and study. The front house is studiously restored to the mid-1800s and is furnished with the general's bedroom set and other family pieces.
We went to this a few years ago and it was interesting. The gardens were beautiful. The history of the house and family was good but rather unentertaining. Definately not a do-er for those with a young family. It is great if you like personal history.